Corporate Social Responsibility

MORE INSIDE THIS SECTION

Innovative teaching method introduced to Luzon LGUs

by Smart Communications | Mar 08, 2018
No homework, no textbooks
Students of La Salette School in Dagupan welcome LGU reps (back row) from different provinces and show them how the Dynamic Learning Program is being implemented in their classes.

Representatives of several local government units (LGUs) in Luzon recently traveled to a Pangasinan school to learn about a teaching method that promotes independent learning, and requires no homework and textbooks.

Escuela de Nuestra Senora de La Salette School has adopted the Dynamic Learning Program (DLP), a teaching methodology created by Ramon Magsaysay Awardees Dr. Christopher Bernido and Dr. Ma. Victoria Carpio-Bernido. First implemented at the Central Visayan Institute Foundation in Bohol, DLP lets students process information by themselves and work on activity sheets inside the classroom 80% of the time. Teachers conduct lectures only for the remaining 20% of the time.

Because the program has led to better student performance, Smart Communications is propagating the implementation of DLP in public and private schools all over the country. Smart has partnered with education advocate Synergeia Foundation to introduce LGUs to DLP, with hope that they would use it to improve basic education among their constituents.

The immersion sessions in La Salette School were joined by LGU representatives from Benguet; Vigan in Ilocos Sur; Agoo, Bacnotan, Burgos, Santol, San Gabriel, Tuba, and San Fernando in La Union; Diadi, Kayapa, Solano, Sta. Fe, and Villaverde in Nueva Vizcaya; and Diffun in Quirino.

“We at Smart adopted DLP as an advocacy because we know that self-learning among kids is important. If we want to have engineers who could solve problems in the future, they should be able to solve problems by themselves at a young age. We need to develop our human capital for nation-building,” said Smart community partnerships head Darwin Flores.

A La Salette School survey shows that both teachers and students have noted improved academic performance and better retention among the studentry since the implementation of DLP. Faculty members, in particular, have noticed improved classroom discipline and relationships among students.

Student Alaisa Jeslani shared that because she and her peers are asked to constantly write lessons in their activity sheets, their retention of concepts has improved. Studying for exams has become easier, she said.

School principal Sonia Camacho added that because DLP uses activity sheets instead of textbooks, students do not have to carry heavy bags. And since DLP does not require homework to enable the children’s minds to rest, they are able to spend more quality time with their family.

Smart’s propagation of DLP is one of its efforts to use technology and non-tech tools to help improve education in the country.