An annual worldwide celebration led by the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), the World Teachers’ Day – celebrated on 4th of October – aims to mobilize support for teachers, and ensure that their needs are met to carry out their important role of molding the minds of the country’s youth.
For its part, the Philippines, led by the Department of Education (DepEd), has instituted the National Teacher’s Month observed annually from September 5 culminating on World Teacher’s Day on October 5.
For the past five years, Smart has been actively participating in the month-long series of activities in support of teachers through:
- DepEd-Smart Photo-Essay – a nationwide student competition with the them ‘My Teacher, My Hero;
- “Tree-bute to Teachers” – a nationwide tree-planting activity participated in by students, teachers, employee-volunteers and other partners to nurture and care for the environment the way teachers care and nurture the youth that will inherit the earth;
- “Photo-GURO-phy” – a photo contest where Smart employees take pictures that depict the struggles and heroism of teachers in remote schools. Schools depicted in winning photos receive a grant from Smart;
In line with technology, Smart also supports World Teacher’s Day via:
- A virtual blackboard where students can post messages of gratitude to their teachers
- Connectivity and live-streaming of the World Teacher’s Day event
- Online greeting cards
- Free calls for teachers