Typhoon 'Pepeng' SMART Public Advisory
[October 2, 2009/ Manila] - SMART is preparing for Typhoon ‘Pepeng’, which is expected to make landfall early morning of Saturday in Aurora. Plans are in place to maintain communication services and ensure speedy response and restoration should facilities be adversely affected.
To date, SMART has restored 98 percent of the cell sites affected by typhoon ‘Ondoy’ in Metro Manila and central and northern Luzon.
All mobile phone users, meanwhile, are encouraged to:
1. Fully charge cell phone batteries and ensure that you have airtime for at least three days.
2. In the event of power outages, conserve battery power. Make judicious use of voice calls. Text messaging uses less power.
3. Store emergency numbers in your cell phone -- family members you can call for help, television and radio stations where you can get storm information, and responding relief agencies like the National Disaster Coordinating Council, local government units, local police, local chapter of the Philippine National Red Cross, etc. Keep a hard copy as well in case you run out of battery and need to use the numbers.
4. Keep a battery-operated radio handy as well as spare batteries to make sure you stay informed about important news like evacuation warnings, storm updates, rescue developments, etc. in case electric and communication facilities shut down.
5. Keep your cell phone dry. Wrap it in plastic or use cling-wrap for easy use.
6. Pack your charger so that you can easily re-charge your cell phone battery once power is restored or made available via other means such as charging stations of Smart Libreng Tawag Centers.